Apr 3, 2014

Scriptures for Our Loss

God's Word, the Bible, is the truth I hold on to. It is the only ultimate absolute truth in my life. As someone who thrives on facts, I love that I can refer to God's Word and know it is true. When my feelings may be lying to me, when my heartache screams lies, I know I can hold fast to the truths I find in scripture.

These are some of the verses that I held onto when we lost Hannah. Some you know I had on my mirror before we lost her, a testament that the Lord really had prepared our hearts, he had already filled our home with truth for us to return to.

So today I'm sharing these with you. There are many more I'm sure. Feel free to leave a comment with a verse you'd like to add. And of course feel free to share with someone who may have experienced loss, and if you do, tell them there's a lady in small town East Texas already praying for them...

The first were the ones on my mirror...

John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

Psalm 91:2
I will say to the Lord, "my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust."

Jeremiah 31:25
I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.


And then the ones the Lord brought to us in the days after we lost our girl...

Philippians 4:6-8
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore since we have been justified by faith we have a peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Lamentations 3:22-24
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Romans 12:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

1 Thessalonians 4:13
But we do not want to be uninformed brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.

Psalm 94:19
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.

Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:18
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Isaiah 40:31
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.

Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.


And not that there is a promise of life to come, for we do not "deserve" a healthy baby simply because we lost our Hannah, but these I hope to cling to if we should ever get pregnant again. To know that even if we lost another, that the Lord would protect my soul.

Psalm 16:8-11
I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. "You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.


I pray that you never know of another person who experiences loss, I pray that no one ever has to lose their little baby again. But I know all too well that they will. So I'm already praying for those you may share this with.

If you found this because you have been through loss, I'm so very sorry, but know that there is someone who has been through it before and has come out on the other side and counted it blessing. But if it's too soon to see the good, I pray that you have room for your tears, and that you have very very soft tissues, and that you have lots of friends and family to hug and cry with, and that you have His Truth to cling to.

Numbers 6:24-26
“The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.”’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...