Sep 8, 2014

Nesting Project: Cleaning All the Things

So if you've ever been pregnant, maybe you know: yes, you want to clean ALL THE THINGS but sometimes don't have any energy to do it.

Well, me and the list maker that I am, I came up with a list in August of all the things I wanted to clean before the baby arrives. I figured that way I could channel my 'oooh I need to clean the underside of the refrigerator right now' into 'put it on the list, prioritize, and pace yourself.'

So here's the list, just in case you were thinking about doing some cleaning around your house too...

Cleaning the Fridge: Not only throwing away the old leftovers, but checking the expiration dates on the thousands of salad dressings and condiments and throwing out the old things. Then also scrubbing each shelf and cranny with soap and water. Because Lord knows it'll be at least five years before I have the time to do that again... Completed!

Cleaning out the Freezer: Opening up those mystery containers of frozen something and making room for all the important things. Like breast milk and ice cream...

Doing All the Laundry: You know those sheets that you never really use so they just hang out in the laundry basket until you want to run a load of things you never use... maybe that's just me, okay? But yes, cleaning all the things. And then even clearing out all the 'towels that don't fit in the linen closet' that really I was just too lazy to put away for the last 3 years. I need room for tiny baby laundry...

Clearing a Path in the Garage: So Kyle keeps the garage pretty clean. I'm the one who has tubs and bins of old craft supplies stored in there. There's room to park the car, but there's definitely not room to park the car and open the door and get a baby car seat in and out of there. Well, not with the boxes. No need for craft supplies that are 10 years old or decor items that 'I just might use someday' to be stored right next to my car. When it starts to rain and I have to pull the car out in the rain just to get the door open to get baby in I'll be kicking myself if I don't get this one done.

Cleaning out the Medicine Cabinet: Why do I still have the nausea medicine that I took with me to Kenya five years ago 'in case I got sick' that didn't even work when I needed it? I have no idea. But I don't want to be up in the middle of the night wading through expired medications trying to find the baby thermometer... Completed!

Get My Car Detailed: Clearing out all the things and starting fresh sounds great when I think about all the Cheerios I'll find in those seats in the next few years. I've never really have a car detailed before but it sounds nice. And if they can get the bugs off my bumper and add a coat of wax maybe I can keep this car looking nice through the crazy years (yes, I can hear you mothers laughing...).

Steam Clean All the Carpet: This one's easier since we own a steam cleaner. But because we own the machine I'll forget to do it and then realize that I can't walk through the living room while the carpet is wet and I have a week old baby and I'll wish I'd done this one earlier...

So that's where I'm at now. I know I also want to look at every place we store anything in the house and rethink if we really need all that 'stuff' or not. There's an entire piece of furniture in my bedroom that's full of old camera boxes and Lisa Frank stationery that could probably find a better home...

So I'm sure the list will grow.

Like my belly.

It's getting bigger than I remember every day. Who knew stretch marks themselves could stretch...

Also: Moms out there, if you have any recommendations of 'you MUST get this done before the baby arrives' I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. You may already plan to do this, but my absolute favorite pre-baby task was meal prep. With both kids, I've prepared and frozen nearly 50 meals (a quart size bag is the perfect amount for just us, so recipes divide up into 2-4 batches!). During the newborn, zombie stage and after the meals from church family stopped, this was a huge lifesaver! Just thaw, heat, mix in noodles/rice/etc, cook, and chow down :)

    Love the list! My weeks are running out, but some of your same to dos should be on mine...but back to that energy thing...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...