Nov 16, 2012

Weekend in BR and the Campus Photo Tour

After a day like last Saturday, I was excited to be in BR for a few more days last weekend. Usually I'm running out at noon on Sundays, but thanks to the three day weekend I was staying for the party Sunday night. By "party" I mean good times with the fam, not an actual  party, anyways...

Church, lunch at Drew's Aunts' house, and then rolling to the mall. The Baton Rouge mall is a bit bigger than ours here in Tyler, lol. And it made for some good outdoor shots.





We roamed the mall, I found a great candle on sale at Bath & Body Works and I want to tell you about it so bad, but I want to surprise Kyle with it first!

Headed to Texas Roadhouse (apparently the Kingsley restaurant of choice) and us four kids, Drew and Aphra had a good time. I really do love hanging out with my brothers and sister. Jared talked about how we were growing up, and I told him I bet Mom and Dad are pretty impressed that we're "grown-up" and still like hanging out with each other...

One James Bond movie later and we were all exhausted from a great weekend. I will say I recommend the James Bond movie, mostly because I was actually able to follow the plot without asking anyone questions about what was happening, but it wasn't too predictable either. And I think Daniel Craig plays a good James Bond, although I guess technically I haven't really seen anyone else play James Bond.

Finished up the weekend on Monday morning with a trip to campus to shoot a few pics, play around and experiment with the camera, and capture some of the places I spent quite a bit of time during my four years at LSU.

Stopped by to see my brother on campus and had the most embarrassing thing happen. I thought it only happened in movies... see it was really cold outside and then really hot inside and so I took my jacket off once I got inside...
Mean Girls moment! I realized I my shirt was stuck to my sweater. Praise Jesus I had decided to put on a camisole under my shirt that day. Really or my brother would have gotten a show...

I couldn't stop laughing. My brother was just fifty shades of red.

With that I was off, in my little car with my Pineapple Surf smoothie in the cup holder, Dave Ramsey CD in the stereo ready to roll back to Texas. Five hours later, home safe and sound.

And those pictures of campus. Here are just a few... nothing exciting like the stadium or anything. Just the places that aren't so often photographed but mean a whole lot to my heart.

I started off my little photo walk at the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry). They kind of stole my heart in the spring of my freshman year and I never looked back. After stepping into that place and that community I was forever changed, learning to know and love the Lord in a completely different way.

Time for Monday Lunch, lol... seeing that sign made me laugh. Some things change, some things don't.


This next one's quite funny actually. It's what we knew as 'the chapel' and we had TNT there every Thursday night. Now they have it in the newer part of the building and this part gets used a little less often. The creepy part is that as I was taking the picture this door slowly opened. After I peed my pants, I went inside. It was like someone told me to come on in or something.



The new Tiger Room, all fancied up after the renovation.


Next Stop, oak trees... I love these. I absolutely love the LSU Oaks. 

I also like the "resurrection ferns" that grow in the trees. See them all green and bright? It rained that morning and so they popped out. See when were were on campus for game day, you wouldn't have even noticed them, because when it hasn't rained in a while they shrivel up and turn brown. They actually blend right in with the bark. But then it rains and they pop right back! Isn't that neat?






Busy campus. I was experimenting with the shutter speed getting the "swoosh" of the cars as they passed by. Unfortunately right after I got the camera setup right, there weren't many cars for a while...




Evangeline Hall. Most recently seen in the background of a scene in Pitch Perfect. You know when I yelled, "Kyle that's my dorm! Where was this movie filmed? That's where I LIVED!" right in the middle of the movie theater. No one told me ahead of time...


First home away from the parents. Where we weathered both Katrina and Rita, where we made blueberry cupcakes for our friends when their electricity was out, where we washed our dishes in the bathroom sink, where we studied to much and rehearsed theater and Spanish presentations, watched Grey's Anatomy and first joined Facebook.


Crazy thing is that our dining hall is gone. The place that we headed to at 4pm every day because we were "starving!" and ate way too much ice cream. It's now a parking garage, but it's a really pretty parking garage. But the dining hall was much more convenient for us :)





And it's not the only construction. Looked like there were gutting the inside of one of the other halls in the horseshoe and redoing the entire thing. Boys lived in that dorm, so it was probably stinky :)


And then Knapp Hall. Were me and my trusty assistant did what we called research. We had fancy equipment and everything. Spent a lot of hours there, reading way too many papers about macular pigment degeneration. But I loved every minute of it, yep, because I'm a nerd like that.



Then the On Campus Apartments... I'm not sure you could have picked four girls better suited to be on a TV show than what we had going on in here. We had a TV tower, a bird cage, a dead leg under the furniture until well after Halloween, we killed many dead fish, and made a whole lot of pancakes... and even got struck by lightning... 108 The Lightning Building.


I was a little nervous taking this next one. I just knew someone was going to walk out and say "what are you taking pictures of my apartment?" And then I would have to be shocked because that would mean they let someone move in there after us, oh the horror of seeing our 'replacements.' Luckily, that didn't happen, "we're still the only ones who've ever lived there, right?"



And then of course the condo. The place my parents so graciously bought for my brother and I and one of 
our many roommates. My sister and brother live there now so I got to stay there this weekend, but I lived there my last two years in college. IT was like our little home away from home. Jared, Me, and that tall girl from Wisconsin that seemed to be in Australia or Philadelphia every other semester ;)


I guess that last picture wasn't technically on campus... but I couldn't leave it out. It was neat to walk around campus and just be there. To remember when it was my home and how grateful I was to be there to be able to grow up to be able to have adventures and pretend to be poetic on occasion. To study in the Law School to feel grown up, and to listen to the high school band play to feel younger again. But to know that I don't wish every day that I was back there, but I'm thankful where that place has gotten me and the things I've learned that made me who I am now... but I guess if I could go back for just one day, maybe I would.

Anyways, Happy Picture Taking, Happy Cold Weather, Happy Remembering.

But just know that you have been warned, don't let Miss Norbury's sweater mishap happen to you too! Keep your shirts down and hearts thankful... it's almost Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...