Dec 2, 2013

Oh Thanksgiving Break!

I'm someone who over the past few years hasn't quite had an actual day off of work. Since we spend our summers up in Colorado, I save up my vacation days to make Colorado happen. Yes, I do get the summer off from the school work, but usually just in time to fly right in to my job in Colorado. Complaining? Never, I LOVE our two lives and I love figuring out how to live life in two states, lol.

But...

When I realized I got the entire week off for Thanksgiving my wheels started turning! Usually we'd plan a trip to see family in Louisiana or Oklahoma. But now that we're thirty six weeks pregnant (crazy! I know) we haven't really gotten the go ahead to travel to the next state. When we asked my doctor about Thanksgiving she recommended we stay home for the holidays and then said, 'well... you can travel if you really want to... but you'll need to stop every 30 minutes to get out and walk to prevent blood clots, and then is there a hospital near your parents' house? You'll need to make sure they can deliver babies and we can send your files over just in case..."

That was a little too much for us, when she said "Is there a hospital near your parents' house?" we figured we'd better stay close to home. And after our car troubles a few weekends ago, we decided we'd surely need to stay put. So that meant I'd have an entire week off!! The list making began!

This Week's Thanksgiving To-Do List started out this way:
Nursery:
 - Organize the nursery, store away those wonderful gifts
 - Finish the homemade wall art
 - Hang the shelves my Dad made, decorate shelves
 - Hang the picture of my grandmother
 - Hem the curtains
 - Poly the dresser (once it's no longer freezing out!)
 - Setup the nursery for pictures!

Thanksgiving:
 - Make dinner with all the trimmings: Turkey, cornbread dressing, stuffing (Kyle loves Stovetop, lol), homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yeast rolls.
 - Watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade
 - Watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
 - Make a list for my husband who will be hitting the Black Friday Sales

House:
 - Finish the headboard, prime, paint, poly, install.
 - Clean out our bedroom. It's like a closet exploded in there and we need to get it clean before baby arrives!

Monday:
So I was lazy on purpose on Monday. People are always telling me to be lazy and sit on the couch and watch TV before the baby gets here and changes everything, lol. So I did. But I also made some wall art for the nursery. I printed a free printable from Vanessa Brady at Gerbera Designs. It's one that you can print and then color yourself, meaning you get to pick the colors! I grabbed my cheap watercolor palette from 2nd grade and got to work.



Then I realized I had three frames to fill...

So I decided to put a personal touch in the frames with a little inspiration from Vanessa's print. I pulled out parts of her design, traced a few things, and added Mom and Dad's own handwriting to the design. Yes, I traced it right off my computer screen... I'm not sure that's good for the computer. But we went from these written messages...


...to these prints.



And now they hang in the inexpensive Ikea frames on our little nursery wall. I'm pretty impressed with myself, especially since this project cost me less than $6 including the frames.


I spent the rest of the afternoon running to the store to get a little food and supplies for other projects. Felt, glue, and 6 screws and we're ready to hang some shelves...

Finished up with a little Thanksgiving Dinner with friends and I'd call Monday a pretty good one.

Tuesday:

Tuesday got crazy when they rescheduled my doctor's appointment from Wednesday to Tuesday. So I woke up made some cake balls for the ladies where I used to work at the VA. Ran to the doctor's office for my first 'when's labor going to happen' check and found out we're not really that close. Swung by Sam's to find out our membership expired, but still at pizza lunch there. Drove to Longview to visit the ladies I used to work with at the VA and bring them those yummy cake balls... planned to stay 30 minutes to an hour-ish and ended up staying for 2 hours, lol. I ran by Target in Longview (much better selection of baby items than Tyler Target!). Headed home for a relaxing night with the hubs. Whew... I was tired!

Wednesday:


Wednesday Kyle was home and I put him to work. Since the cold weather was keeping me from finishing the paint job on the dresser, we tackled the nursery. We broke out the tools and Kyle hung a couple of shelves that were made by my very own Dad. He had made the shelves for me when I was in middle school and gladly let me pull them off the wall when I got married. I love that my Dad made something in the baby room...




And then I got to what they call 'styling' the shelves. I used a few books, a framed sonogram picture, a few stuffed animals, and repurposed a few of the cute cards I had gotten with baby gifts. One I simply cut the front off the card and placed it on the shelf. The other along with a spare piece of cardboard, got a makeover...





Then I got Kyle back in to hang the picture of my grandmothers. And I finished up the shelf 'styling.'

Since I already had the iron out, I got out my Stitch Witchery and hemmed up the curtains. Organized a few things in the baby room. Put a cover on the changing table, and this room is almost ready for a baby. And for taking a few full-room pics to share once it's all done.

We may have also reorganized every cabinet in the kitchen. Maybe it's nesting... maybe it was just wayyy long overdue...

Thursday:

THANKSGIVING! Just the two of us, but I made the turkey and all the trimmings. Even though it was just us, we really did have so many things to be thankful for this year. We have a God who is more than we could every imagine, who is true and just and merciful and who blesses us in so many ways. We have each other, my husband really is more than I could have ever asked for. We have families who love us, even from far away. We have friends and community and church and jobs that we love. We have a house that makes us feel so warm and we know that many, many people cannot say all those things. We are truly blessed.

And we stuffed our blessed tummies with lots of Thanksgiving food...












Then we went Black Friday Shopping on Thursday night... and I know last year I was saying "Black Friday is no place for a pregnant lady!" And then this year as my husband was heading out I asked in the sweetest voice, 'can I go with you???' And with our small Walmart and me in the no-battle zone where the steam vacuums were it was very calm. I didn't even lift anything heavy, we got a few great deals on some gifts for the fam, and we were home and in bed by 9:30pm. It was pretty low key, and I got to spend some funny times with my wonderful husband...

Friday:

Friday was full of rest and football. (And a little bit of cleaning once I got a hold of the Lysol wipes...) We watched the games and sat on the couch. My sweet friend Elizabeth came through town and I got to meet her sweet baby (who's now one and a half!). Low key night with pizza rolls and a movie, felt like vacation.

Saturday:


We started the morning helping our friends pick out and cut down a Christmas tree. How fun is that? Like right out of a movie, weather was great, and it was so Christmas-y. Then we got back on the ball and we reviewed some of our birthing class material, and I got out in the warmer weather and got that coat of poly on the dresser for the baby room! Once that cures it'll be packed full in the nursery! I spent some time cleaning the mountain of things that have somehow accumulated on my side of the bedroom into this mountain of things... We rotated the mattress, I sprayed allergen-reducer on almost everything, we washed the sheets, and I got pretty into cleaning. Maybe nesting is coming??

Oh and then football of course... there was some great college football on TV Saturday.

Sunday:


Church and then we got the Christmas tree up... may be the last year we don't have a little one 'helping' decorate the tree. Or the last year we don't have to worry about the 'breakable' ornaments, lol...

Round Up for the Week:
Nursery:
 - Organize the nursery, store away those wonderful gifts
 - Finish the homemade wall art
 - Hang the shelves my Dad made, decorate shelves
 - Hang the picture of my grandmother
 - Hem the curtains
 - Poly the dresser (once it's no longer freezing out!)
 - Setup the nursery for pictures!

Thanksgiving:
 - Make dinner with all the trimmings: Turkey, cornbread dressing, stuffing (Kyle loves Stovetop, lol), homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yeast rolls.
 - Watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade
 - Watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
 - Make a list for my husband who will be hitting the Black Friday Sales

House:
 - Finish the headboard, prime, paint, poly, install.
 - Clean out our bedroom. It's like a closet exploded in there and we need to get it clean before baby arrives!(Let's just say that one's about halfway done..)

So now we're just relaxing and staring at the glow of the tree. So thankful this week. It was just what we needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...