Oct 18, 2013

A little paint, goes a long way...

Note: The computer is still out. Apparently when the computer guy says his shop closes at 5:00pm sometimes that means 4:55pm. I raced in there yesterday after work only to find the cute little "Closed" sign on the window. I get off early today, so I'm hoping to get the computer into the shop then... Until then, cell phone pics and not so many posts... sorry, it's kind of pathetic, I know... but we'll be up and running fully soon. I feel like the government shutdown message or something...

But we have been busy around the Hess house, functional computer or not. Kyle's been home so I've had him doing all my heavy lifting. Sometimes I must sound crazy 'ordering him around' but it's just my 'delicate condition'...

I got on the ball with a few projects this last week so I'll give you a sneak peek at what's been going on. Nothing is really safe around our house, safe from being hit with a coat of paint that is...

Went to Lowe's and got the supplies we need for the next few projects:

First is this handy respirator. I use No-VOC, low odor paint when I'm painting walls and painting with a brush, but apparently spray paint is not recommended for pregnant ladies. And primer is quite hard to find in No-VOC. So after a few hunts around the internet I saw this mask recommended for the preggo ladies. It's not 100% fool-proof. It doesn't say "Safe for Pregnant Ladies to Use for Painting" because, let's be honest, nothing, nothing says "Safe for Pregnant Ladies" it's like a rule or something... Like I don't recommend standing in a room full of lead paint just to see if it works. But for the 10-15 minutes of total spray painting I want to do in the next few months, I just wanted an added layer of protection. Mind you, many of my friends have said they spray painted without a mask and they were just fine... but sometimes I'm uncontrollably partial to the 'safety first' side of things...

And some people say, 'get someone else to paint it for you.' I'm not that person, I'm a little crazy when it comes to paint. Obsessive-compulsive maybe? Not that I'm perfect, but it's a pretty sad 'oh did you just get paint on the carpet?!' situation with others, lol...


So there's the spray paint. I've had this white Krylon spray paint in Glossy for a few months now. And I have a million things that are about to getting painted with it all at once. Well nine things (including the mirror not pictured)...



Then the other spray paint. It's the famous oil rubbed bronze spray paint by Rustoleum. It sticks to almost anything and I'm ready to see it in action.


For now I'm limiting myself to the pulls on the dresser for the nursery... but the rest of this can is going to coat all our inside door knobs once I'm no longer preggers. (You should see some of our door knobs, one of them doesn't even match the knob it's connected to on the other side of the door...) And then maybe a chandelier gets painted too... who knows.



And then there's the entire gallon of No-VOC, low odor ultra white paint in semi-gloss. I started out buying only a quart... then after listing everything I wanted to paint, Kyle recommended the gallon. He's a smart man.


On the list for the white paint: the dresser in the baby room, the headboard I've been building, and some old window frames I want to hang in the living room (was going to leave them with old flaky paint until I realized they are old and it could be lead paint!). Someday I'm planning on getting a coat on the dining room chairs and table and then every door in the house. Did I mention that all our trim is white and all the doors in the house are painted off-white? Or that maybe in the baby room 'one of these things is not like the other...?' Maybe the dresser...


Throw in a drill bit so we can finally finish putting together the headboard (apparently you need a drill bit longer than 4 inches to drill through a 4x4 post...) and a cheaper brush that I can throw away after getting primer all over it (rather than wrestling with mineral spirits) and we're ready to rock paint.

Don't expect all these projects to happen tomorrow. I'm a pregnant lady that gets tired at all hours of the day. But I do want to get the painting done before the dreaded cold weather get's me out of the perfect 'temperature zone' for painting... then it'll be a long, long winter...

Really nothing is safe. Well expect of course all the baby things and the respirator mask, they are all very safe. We double checked... and then maybe I triple checked... So maybe I'll say "nothing is safe from a little coat of paint." ...ooo, not even the walls in the hallway... :)

Happy Friday. It's Fall... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...