Sep 10, 2010

Refrigerator and Progress

Don't worry this has nothing to do with progress and politics... simply progress on cleaning. The road long but we are continually pacing ourselves. We have tubs labeled "Garage Sale" others I've labeled "Kitchen Stuff that Needs a Place to Go" and then "I want to Keep this but Have no Place to Put It." Yep, that's where we are on the house.

But honestly some routines are kicking in and I'm loving it, like we got a REFRIGERATOR!! Now we had one before, but see it was a mini, and well you just can't keep much in there. But Kyle found us a great deal on Craig's List and now we have a beautiful (and inexpensive) new refrigerator. So cooking dinners has become much more fun because it means simply cooking the food, not daily to the grocery store and then cooking the food!

As far as more routine, ladies Bible study started up in Lindale which is wonderful and such a blessing, which also means my mornings start with a daily reading from our new study. School started, and although that routine may have many people cringing, I love school, so I'm real excited about the learning and studying and cramming and writing papers right up until the deadline... see I'm dangerous. :) But I will admit that Kyle had to ask about the laundry quite a few times, apparently doing all these other things made me forget a load in the dryer oh for about... 5 days or so. Ooops!

Anyway, recipe for last night's dinner was fabulous and cheap. I'll try to be posting our new and old recipes (some I had long ago on another blog) for anyone who like me need the recipes that are good and cheap-ish and boy-friendly (AKA include meat) and are decently healthy...

Rockin' Burrito Wraps
Serves 4
(And approximately 14 grams of FIBER per serving!)

Ingredients
4 Burrito Sized Tortillas (I don't use whole grain for this one because I like them to stretch well)
1 Can Black Beans
1/2 to 1 pound of Ground Beef or Ground Turkey (I did half and half because I had leftover in the fridge)
1 Taco Seasoning Packet
2 Cups Uncooked Brown Rice
Salsa
Cheese (as desired)
Sour Cream (as desired)

Directions:
1. Measure out two cups uncooked brown rice and place in rice cooker. Follow instructions on rice cooker (mine tells you how much water to add... for me it's 3 cups of water and takes about 25 minutes to cook with a 20 minute set time... will explain later.) Sprinkle a little taco seasoning in with the rice and then set to COOK.

2. Brown meat on med-high heat in a skillet. Add taco seasoning and a little water, mix, allow to bubble, reduce heat and stir.

3. Pour can of beans into pot to heat. No salt needed due to canning processing.

4. Once rice is done cooking, you will need to remove the lid, stir it up, and then replace the lid to allow for the rice to reabsorb the moisture This step is key with rice especially brown rice. My rice cooker has a WARM setting as it sits for about 10-20 minutes.

5. Assemble and eat. Tortilla with rice, meat, beans, salsa and maybe a little cheese or sour cream. Kyle likes the cheese, but I like the sour cream, so we have both.

6. Enjoy! (and notice it serves 4, so you can have others over or have leftovers to pack a lunch the next day if you are only cooking for two!) Also I could the servings on 2 man servings and 2 woman servings, if you know what I mean ;)

Sorry no pics, forgot to take then and now it;s all eaten up... but next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...